Follow these tips to keep your business secure during the Christmas shutdown.
With Christmas less than two weeks away, it’s important to ensure you take the correct steps when it comes to business security. With many offices, warehouses and manufacturing facilities shutting down over the festive period, it’s crucial to ensure you follow good security practices.
Essential for rural businesses, or those on a park where neighbouring businesses will also close for two weeks, these tips will keep your property safe at a potentially vulnerable time.
1. Update your keyholder lists
Due to holidays, you may have to change your designated keyholders. If these do change, you should update the company that monitor your alarm, so they can contact the correct people in the event of an activation.
2. Ensure alarms & CCTV work correctly
As well as having the correct people to respond to an alarm activation, it’s important to ensure that the alarm will work in the case of a break in. Ensure that fire & intruder alarms and CCTV cameras have been serviced and are working correctly.
Pay special attention to the time stamps on the cameras, as incorrect information may make any evidence they collect inadmissible.
3. Keep your security company updated
Making sure your security company is kept up to date on your opening hours is always a good idea. Knowing whether staff are likely to be on site at certain times can reduce false alarms. Likewise, if someone is on site when they shouldn’t be, decisive action can be taken.
4. Do a final security check before leaving for Christmas
Finally, there a number of checks to undertake before locking up and driving away for the final time in 2018. It may be tempting to nip off home early, but these final checks could make all the difference.
We would recommend having two people carry out these essential checks to avoid any simple mistakes.
What to check before leaving for Christmas:
- Ensure all expensive equipment is locked away.
- Make sure all internal doors are closed. In the case of a fire, this simple act can reduce the rate at which it spreads.
- Lock all external windows and doors. If they have grills, fasten these too.
- Turn off or unplug electrical equipment that does not need to be on.
- Check external areas, ensuring nothing is left on display to tempt potential thieves.
- Check everybody has left the building.
- Ensure the alarm is set correctly.
- Have a great Christmas!
Abbey Security can help protect your Suffolk based business 365 days a year
If you need help with your security speak to the team at Abbey Security. We specialise in static and mobile manned guarding, as well as keyholding & rapid alarm response. If you require security services for your business in Bury St Edmunds, Cambridge, Newmarket or Thetford please contact us on 01284 768832 or fill in our contact form.
Posted on December 14, 2018